Sunday, November 2, 2014

Pollen @ Gardens by The Bay

I've visited Gardens by The Bay twice so far this year. Once was with an out of town visitor to catch the tulips flown in from Holland; the other time was to see the orchid show.

Some of the prize-winning orchids on display

People seem to love taking pictures outside amongst the Avatar-esque surroundings, but I'm more interested in what's inside. The temperature inside the domes is a pleasant change from the humidity outside and feels less artificial than regular air conditioning.

I'm not a huge ice cream fan, but I have to admit the gift shop has an interesting selection of alcoholic ice creams. They carry flavours ranging from the staple rum and raisin to the more unfamiliar soursop vodka. There are also non-alcoholic ice creams available for those who don't particularly fancy alcohol in their dessert.

The Terrace menu

If you ever need a break from being on your feet or from the swarms of people, I'd recommend popping in to the Pollen cafe at the Flower Dome.

The food menu isn't extensive, but is more than serviceable for teatime or a simple lunch. If you're looking for something more filling, there's always the actual restaurant which has a wider selection of dishes. Personally, I prefer the cafe which is perfect for a little chat with friends or for people-watching.

Mixed almonds & olives with manchego cheese

I've tried the linguini alla puttanesca, the mixed almonds & olives with manchego cheese, and focaccia with olives. I guess it depends on how peckish you're feeling, but my favourite was the linguini alla puttanesca which is a simple dish but not always executed well. I'm pleased to say that the puttanesca sauce was on point and that I devoured the linguini. The other olive dishes are also tasty, but best for sharing as they are more like appetizers or snacks.

Flat white & focaccia

Both times I had the flat white which was very satisfying. Perhaps I'll try the white ginger lily tea or the pollen colada (malibu, coconut water, coconut flesh and pineapple) on my next visit.

The Terrace @ Pollen
Flower Dome, Gardens by The Bay
18 Marina Sands Drive #01-09
Singapore 018953

No comments:

Post a Comment